Sunday 8 March 2015

The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt First Thoughts


I have to confess TV isn’t my ideal medium, I often start things and fall behind and then give up. I’ve watched most of the big films of the last few years but if you asked for my thoughts on the big TV shows at best I might be able to talk to you about the first few episodes. It was with great apprehension then that I start “The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt” on Netflix, would this be another TV show I’d start and never finish? or would I not even enjoy it?

I’m glad to report that the show is simply terrific. It centers on the eponymous character (Ellie Kemper) as she comes out of an underground apocalypse cult after about 15 years of hiding.  It sounds like a bizarre and convoluted set up but the show is so good it just works. Mainly this is due to the central performance of Kemper, her character is so wide eyed and innocent you cant help but like her. Too much comedy is about being dry and sarcastic, its about proving how apathetic you are to the world around you. So in this respect Kimmy Schmidt is a breathe of fresh air, it feels like a change to watch a show that’s about optimism and a character who is fascinated by life rather than bored by it. The show has such a youthful vibe and energy to it that watching it make you feel better due to a combination of bright colours, fun characters and great jokes. This framing of someone coming into the modern world after living underground for a long time provides most of the humour for the show by seeing Kimmy’s reaction to our world we get realize some of the absurdities of modern life. 


“The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt” is looking like it’s going to be a great show all the episodes are available on Netflix now but I think I’m going to savour them because it’s really worth it.

If you've started the show leave a comment and let me know your thoughts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment